Saturday, June 14, 2008

My Other Other Other Love

God, I could talk about feminism all day long. But since it can be hard to find another person who feels the same way,* I usually just think about it all day. Lately I have been thinking a lot about that favorite old chestnut: women and comics. Questions like, why don't more women make comics? (A: They do, you just don't notice them.) Is the comics world welcoming to women? (A: In theory, yes. In practice, no. Just like the rest of the world really.) What can I do to encourage women's interest in comics? (A: you tell me!)

My top-of-the-head, really-should-be-getting-out-of-my-pajamas-and-over-to-the-gym thoughts on the subject---all thoughts that I would like to explore in the coming weeks in this blog---are:
--women aren't represented enough in comics
--women aren't as good as men at self promotion
--women have a hard time trusting their abilities in comics

You can think of this blog entry as a thesis statement.

PS, I have more sketchbook stuff to post, I just really really hate scanning, ok??!


*Unless you happen to be BFFs with the lovely Cuffington. Which I am, lucky me!

No comments: